Using Figgy's Flutter Circle Skirt Tutorial as a starting point, I recently completed this dress. I wanted to create something interesting with the sleeves, so after experimenting a bit with three pieces of fabric, I created a folded, somewhat braided sleeve. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to call it, but it worked! Here's how the dress was made...
1. Starting with a t shirt, I traced the top of the dress.
2. Stitched the front to the back.
3. Finished the sleeve edges
4. Followed the instructions on Figgy's Flutter Circle Skirt Tutorial for the skirt (except for the waistband). Loved this tutorial by the way. Such a great way to create customized pattern pieces, using yarn & a pencil! You must check this out!
5. Cut out sleeve pieces...3 for each side (one piece is about 1/2 inch wider than the other two). I finished the edges and hemmed them lengthwise.
6. Gather the wider piece.
Place the wider, gathered sleeve piece centred on shoulder seam. Add remaining sleeve pieces on top.
Fold the gathered sleeve piece over.
Flip sleeve piece over.
Insert one side sleeve piece through the gathered sleeve piece.
Repeat with the other side. Flip sleeve back (over shoulder seam). Fold edge of sleeve piece (under my thumb in pic).
Place and pin remaining sleeve piece.
Repeat on other side.
Stitch and admire your work!