Since this little trench jacket is one of my favourite personal creations, I was pretty ecstatic to see it and the rest of the Toddler Sportswear Chic outfit among the final selections for the Project Run & Play Open Auditions. And one of my favourite features of the Sportswear Trench Jacket is the fact that there are no exposed seams on the inside of it. This technique is called a french seam, and while it's usually used on sheer or very delicate fabrics, I found it worked very well with this heavier cotton.
Here are the steps I used to achieve this clean finish:
1. Line up your two pieces of fabric
2. With wrong sides together, stitch about a half inch from the edge
3. Trim as much of the access fabric as possible
4. Fold over and press with your stitching line on the fabric edge
5. Stitch, encasing the raw edge inside
6. Press flat
7. Stitch a 3/8 seam allowance, sewing the fold down.
Voting continues until tomorrow night, to determine the final two designers for
Project Run & Play Season 5 .
Yes, I'd love to be one of them, but vote for your favourite!