Project Run & Play - Outerwear

26.1.12


This week is the Outerwear challenge at Project Run & Play, and challenge is the perfect word for it because typically, outer garments are quite difficult (at least for me!).  There's a jacket design that's been in my head, so this was the perfect opportunity to create it.  It's a military jacket, with a bit of a Regency Era feel (think of the men's coats during Jane Austen's time).  Tobias' favourite colour is blue, so the choice for outer colour was easy.  I switched back and forth from different lining options, but finally went with the red plaid.  I like how it adds a bit of British flare to the garment and some colour 'pop'.  Check out the other submissions here on the Flickr group.  There's some really great work being done by some talented moms!



                 


















I have to say something about the lining.  It became somewhat of my nemesis during this process (I should've known considering it's plaid).  Originally, the stripes did not line up with the collar, and while it was somewhat tempting to just forget about it, my wonderful husband encouraged me to re-do.  I'm glad he did...much greater sense of accomplishment when the lines match up just right!




The zipper is up cycled from a jacket Tobias has grown out of.  Actually, the one I bought originally was the wrong length, so finding this one at home saved me a trip to the fabric store (which always seems to take a couple hours for some reason...ha, ha!)




Fully lined right down to the sleeves...



One thing I've really loved about getting involved in Project Run & Play is getting out of my comfort zone and trying new techniques.  This was the first time I've made welted pockets and they turned out to be easier than I thought after a few practice runs.  





Ta da!


Project Run & Play - Decades Week

23.1.12

Last week was Sewing Through the Decades Week over at Project Run & Play.  For my submission to the Sew Along at Home contest, I decided to add some lace detail to the blouse I made for Anja earlier this month, and make some bloomers to match.  The result was my take on a 1940s toddler look.  I was very flattered that it was featured as one of the favourite designs of the week over at Simple Simon & Co.  I have long admired their polished, vintage-looking designs, so the recognition meant a lot coming from them!















Project Run & Play: Boys Week

12.1.12

This morning I finished up a project I was inspired to create because of Project Run & Play.  The theme for this week is Boys Week, so I had to get on board and create something for my little man.  I came up with an argyle polo shirt with black corduroy pants.  I had never attempted a polo shirt button placket before, so it was very exciting for me to learn a new technique (thanks to this tutorial).  Here's what I came up with:




























What a fun boy!!!!









Anja's Vintage Inspired Blouse

8.1.12

Here's what I was up to last week: a peter pan collared, pin tucked blouse for Anja.  I really got to utilize my new dress form, which was exciting for me!  It made designing a lot easier, which I needed since I changed the sleeves about three times.  No tutorial on this one, since there was quite a bit of trial and error.  This was my first attempt at pin tucking.






























$2 Baby Leg Warmers

3.1.12

Happy New Year!  Too busy for posts the past few weeks, but I'm ready to get back to creating....especially since my hubby got me a child size dress form for Christmas!  How lucky am I?!  Too many ideas have been circulating in my head for sewing my children's spring & summer clothing.  It'll be like my own mini Project Runway without the crazy hours or competition.  So exciting!  But one step at a time.

The current project of the day is in honour of the -17C weather that blew in last night.  I think leg warmers are going to be as staple as socks for the next few months, so I need more of them to keep my little ones cozy.  When I was pregnant with Tobias, I saw baby leg warmers in a baby boutique and thought they were a great idea...and paid $15 each for two pairs.  I still think they are a great idea, but I think it's an even better idea to make them from $2 socks!

This project literally took me 5 minutes to make, and it's great for girls & boys (Tobias wears his under his pants).

Buy some adult or youth socks.



Cut like this:




Get rid of the heel and the toe.  Fold the foot part in half, right sides together.




Place over the unfinished end of the sock, right sides together.




Sew.