Lined sleeves and/or flounces are a perfect place to add trim, so I will be attaching my crocheted pom poms to the flounce of the Mori Dress. This technique will work on any lined sleeve (flutter or cap sleeves look great with trim) or flounces.
1. Measure your trim to determine how much of it you want to show on the right side of your garment. Since I want only the pompoms to show, I will need to place my trim 0.25" (or 0.3cm) from the raw edge of the flounce (because of the 3/8"/1cm seam allowance).
2. Pin the trim to the right side of the flounce. As you can see, mine is placed 0.25" (or 0.3cm) from the raw edge. Baste trim in place.
3. Place the other flounce piece, right sides together. Pin and stitch.
4. Turn right sides out, and press.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 with opposite flounce and continue with the rest of your garment.
Princess seams are also the perfect place to add some trim. Here is how I added piping to the princess seams of the Mori Dress (omitting the flounces). The steps are basically identical to the instructions above.
1. Pin piping to centre front and back pieces. Baste in place. You may find it helpful to use a zipper foot.
2. Pin side front and back pieces, right sides together. Stitch.
Here are the results of personalizing with trim. As you can see, the added detail makes these garments truly one-of-a-kind!
This tutorial was originally posted on Project Run & Play.