I love watermelon, but didn't find it appealing as the collar on this little romper I had in Anja's closet. It was one of the garments in a bag of hand-me-downs kindly given by a friend. While I think the fabric and shape is adorable, I just had to change the collar. I also had to almost force myself not to add my favourite, beloved peter pan collar...it's such a go-to look for me. Instead, I opted for another collar I've had my eye on: the ruffled collar. I've tried it once before, but it looked way too clownish. This time, I made sure it was subtle, much like the following blouses from a couple of designer boutiques I admire:
First of all, removal of the collar.
Cut a couple inches off the bottom for the collar.
Original back becomes the front.
I simply gathered the strip of fabric I cut from the original hem.
I should mention that I removed the top button on the back so it didn't interfere with my stitching.
To make sure the serged seam didn't show on the right side, I stitched underneath the collar.
Some views of the back.
I hope this example of upcycling might encourage anyone to do the same with a garment that needs a bit of a makeover. It's great for the pocketbook, and the environment...win - win!