This week's project is a pair of little capris for Anja. I wanted to do something interesting with the pockets, so I put them on the bottom. While they are functional pockets, I know she won't be using them, but if she were to, I'd probably make these shorts rather than capris, to avoid bulk. However, this little girl's been scraping her knees way too much lately, so I wanted her to have something with some coverage on her legs.
Besides your fabric, you will need:
44cm (17") of 6mm (1/4") elastic
2.5cm (1") elastic for the waist (length depends on the size you are making)
Measure around leg to determine how wide/long you want the leg opening pieces to be.
Cut two pieces.
1. Fold and iron leg opening pieces in half.
2. Make an inverted pleat along the inside seam of leg.
3. Pin leg opening piece to leg.
1. Measure and cut back pocket. I adjusted mine to be 13 cm X 10 cm (3 1/2"X4").
2. Cut the upper pocket piece - 10cmX6cm (4"X2 1/2")
3. Stitch along pocket edge
1. Fold upper pocket piece and stitch along the sides
2. Gently pull bobbin thread of lower pocket piece, turn edges, and iron
**Baste upper edge of pocket piece**